Who We Are
Today’s youths are facing more mountainous obstacles now than ever before. Bullying and peer pressure have always been a harsh reality of growing up, but the growth in technology has provided more platforms for these beasts to thrive. It is imperative that today’s young people have a safe place to grow, learn, be empowered, and feel unconditional love and acceptance. It is becoming more evident everyday that school is not that place, but The Cave is such an entity.
Based off of a very similar outreach called the Basement in Alabama, The Cave has been a lighthouse for pre-teens, adolescents, and young adults who are lost at sea and being tossed by waves of depression, self-hate, guilt, failure, drugs, and the list goes on. The number of lives that have been turned around by the outreach that began humbly in the hospitality room of an unsavory hotel in Laurel, Md cannot be tallied, but a modest estimate is 10,000 reached and over half of them completely changed. This is all in a matter of about two years and three months.
I have heard testimonies from youths whose report cards were turned upside down, from being sub-par to honor roll. Parents have praised the changes that The Cave has brought in their children’s behavior, and even teachers have copped to the effectiveness of The Cave in comparison to other youth institutions.
What started in Laurel, Md has spread to Odenton, Crownsville, Glen Burnie, Columbia, and even Whitemarsh via an event called Rock the Block that drew in an estimated two thousand people. Now The Cave has taken another major step from relocating to accommodate the growth of the weekly event to branching out and birthing offshoots of in Middle River, Bowie, and Glen Burnie, MD. As exciting as this is, the heart of Freddy Flanagan, the young man who pioneered and has spearheaded this movement since its incarnation in June 2010, is for Baltimore City itself.
While The Cave has had opportunities to support different annual events put on by other organizations in the city, this has only served as an appetizer for Freddy and his team who is starving for a chance to put its stamp on one of the most oppressed cities in all of America. The Cave is where the torches are lit, and the Cave is ready to light up Bmore.
Statement of Faith:
- The Bible is infallible Word of God, that it is His holy and inspired Word and it is of supreme and final authority.
- In one God, eternally existing in three persons—Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- Jesus was conceived by the Holy Spirit, and born of the Virgin Mary. He led a sinless life, took on Himself all our sins, died and rose again and is seated at the right hand of the Father as our mediator and advocate.
- That all men have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and need to come to the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ through His shed blood on the cross.
- In holy Christian living, and that we must have concern for the hurts and social needs of our fellowmen.
- We must dedicate ourselves to the service of our Lord and to His authority in our lives.
- That Christ rose from the dead and is coming soon.
- In using every modern means of media available, we will spread the Gospel of Jesus Christ throughout the world.